Monday, April 02, 2012

More on Monday... it's all in the detail

Have you ever looked at a bee's wings? I mean really looked? No? Me neither. To be fair they are usually buzzing at such an extreme speed they appear as little more than a blur.

My Silent Sunday post yesterday was an extreme close up shot of a bee wing (you can see it here, if you missed it...) and I am particularly proud of it. But I confess I did cheat just a teeny bit...



Here is the original photograph...


As you can see the bee is deceased. It's not sleeping - it is an ex-bee. It has ceased to bee... *ahem*   So that's how  it stayed still long enough for me to get the shot.*

Then, using my free photo editing suite of choice - Picasa - newly improved with loads of extra features swiped from the very nearly defunct Picnik - and available to download to your desktop right here, I cropped the picture and tweaked it to produce the amazingly detailed close up of the wing.

Here's another version...

 I love this in black and white - it has a skeletal feel about it and transforms the bee wing into something more mysterious and fantastical (is that even a word? If it isn't, it should be...)

The point of this post was to show you how the most ordinary photograph can be cropped and edited into something truly amazing - no special lenses required - just a steady hand, a decent macro setting and some cool effects. More mega pixels helps (My Fujifilm Finepix S2950 is 14MP) but is only an issue if you want to make big prints of the finished picture.

Why not give it a go? Transform a picture (or a portion of a picture). Take something ordinary and turn it into something extraordinary.

 Go on. I dare you.

If you do, make sure you leave a comment with a link so I can see it too :-)


*please don't worry that I go around murdering bees in order to get a good photo. The Little Man found this one on the windowsill!

ps If you don't want to download PIcasa on to your desktop there are plenty of online photo editing suites available. Another I use id befunky.com which is also available as a mobile app.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for staying this long :) I would love to hear what you have to say. Don't be shy, this could be start of a beautiful friendship!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips