Monday, March 03, 2014

Meal Planning 2014 - A lean week...



After last week taking stock and getting excited about doing a 'larder' shop using the Tesco vouchers found whilst tidying up the kitchen, this week I am in a different place.



We had a very quiet week at the shop and a couple of unexpected bills that have left us in a little bit of a cash flow situation, the result of which means I have about a tenner to spend on food until certain payments clear and cash is freed up again.  I don't consider ourselves to be living in poverty - we have a roof over our heads, tv, internet, central heating and hot water - BUT it only takes a little wobble to show us just how precariously placed we are right now and just how easy it is to turn around one day and realise that you can't feed your family!

Thanks to the 'stock take' I know exactly what I do have to play with - precious little that it is - and I know that this is only a short term blip. So tempting though it is to go 'sod it' and do an online supermarket shop with a credit card, I am going to resist until it's the absolute last option...

So this week then, is going to be a lean week.

We have pasta, rice and noodles in the cupboard as well as bread flour and enough yeast for 2 or 3 loaves. There are eggs and some veggies in the fridge and cheese for sandwiches for this week's packed lunches.  I shall be shopping daily - mainly in the reduced sections - so I am not planning meals in advance this week but just cooking based on what bargains I can find.
I expect there will be a lot of veggie soup... (in fact there is a pot of carrot soup on the stove as I type!)
I have enough flour, sugar and baking marg to make something cakey to take the edge off beans on toast for tea again so it's not all bad.

And, with a bit of luck, next week will be better...

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how resourceful we can be Anthea...we all waste too much at times, don't we? (...and carrot soup and home made bread sounds delicious at any time :-) )
    Hope you have a good week,
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  2. great blog Anthea :) lots of useful tips for budget cooking, we have homemade soup about twice a week and I usually make enough for lunches too....I try and cook veggie quite alot, buying reduced veg for soups and homemade bread is a nice treat

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for staying this long :) I would love to hear what you have to say. Don't be shy, this could be start of a beautiful friendship!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips